Thread: What is wrong... Object reference not set to an instance of an object...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    178 Post(s)

(Solved) What is wrong... Object reference not set to an instance of an object...

Ok, I'm seriously stumped and/or too tried.

The following action seems to work perfectly fine, however it keeps throwing the following error every second when there are 3 or more monsters around me:
    Code:
    7:57 AM : Game:ItemList:FindItemByName - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at (Object )   at ..(String name)
    Thats right... it doesnt say on what line or anything, thats all it says...

Here is the action. It is an action that disables targeting spells and then uses an aoe rune on the ground, then/and/or sets targeting spell back when less than 3 monsters are around.

The following is in my setup:
    PHP Code:
    nameRune "great fireball rune" -- Health potion to use
    exoriCount -- Use rune when there are this many monsters
    creaturesToHit 
    = {"Giant Spider""Mutated Bat""Tarantula"} -- List the monsters to use rune on
    pvpServer 
    false -- Bool for server type 

PHP Code:
    if pvpServer and maround(3unpack(creaturesToHit)) >= exoriCount and paround(7true) == and itemcount(nameRune) > 0 then
    setsettings
    ("Settings\\Targeting\\Monsters\\Giant Spider\\ListSettings\\Setting0\\ListSpell\\Spell0""No Action"
    setsettings("Settings\\Targeting\\Monsters\\Mutated Bat\\ListSettings\\Setting0\\ListSpell\\Spell0""No Action"
    setsettings("Settings\\Targeting\\Monsters\\Tarantula\\ListSettings\\Setting0\\ListSpell\\Spell0""No Action"
    useitemon(nameRuneposxposyposz)

elseif 
    not pvpServer and maround(3unpack(creaturesToHit)) >= exoriCount and itemcount(nameRune) > 0 then
    setsettings
    ("Settings\\Targeting\\Monsters\\Giant Spider\\ListSettings\\Setting0\\ListSpell\\Spell0""No Action"
    setsettings("Settings\\Targeting\\Monsters\\Mutated Bat\\ListSettings\\Setting0\\ListSpell\\Spell0""No Action"
    setsettings("Settings\\Targeting\\Monsters\\Tarantula\\ListSettings\\Setting0\\ListSpell\\Spell0""No Action"
    else

setsettings("Settings\\Targeting\\Monsters\\Giant Spider\\ListSettings\\Setting0\\ListSpell\\Spell0""Flame Strike"
    setsettings("Settings\\Targeting\\Monsters\\Mutated Bat\\ListSettings\\Setting0\\ListSpell\\Spell0""Flame Strike"
    setsettings("Settings\\Targeting\\Monsters\\Tarantula\\ListSettings\\Setting0\\ListSpell\\Spell0""Flame Strike"
    end 
    Last edited by pink_panther; 10-10-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Normal User
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Do you got GFB in Items.xml? It might be the error.
    "ItemList:FindItemByName"

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    178 Post(s)
    SODER, my man!

I did think of, and check, that... but it still shoots the rune anyway...

Furthermore, when I just copy "useitemon(nameRune, posx, posy, posz)" or the setsettings() from "No Action" to "Flame strike" into an action by themselves to isolate the issue, it doesn't throw the error, it just works...

It's making me a bit insane with its own inconsistencies.

Normal User
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Try this, removed the else statement after the elseif statement.

PHP Code:
    if (pvpServerthen

if (maround(3unpack(creaturesToHit)) >= exoriCount) and (paround(7true) == 0) and (itemcount(nameRune) > 0then
            setsettings

else

setsettings("Settings\\Targeting\\Monsters\\Giant Spider\\ListSettings\\Setting0\\ListSpell\\Spell0""Flame Strike"

setsettings("Settings\\Targeting\\Monsters\\Mutated Bat\\ListSettings\\Setting0\\ListSpell\\Spell0""Flame Strike"

setsettings("Settings\\Targeting\\Monsters\\Tarantula\\ListSettings\\Setting0\\ListSpell\\Spell0""Flame Strike"

end
    elseif not (pvpServerthen

if (maround(3unpack(creaturesToHit)) >= exoriCount) and (itemcount(nameRune) > 0then
            setsettings

else

end
    end 

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    178 Post(s)
    I have a bool for pvpServer, I get the error when its true or false also.

I'll give this a try when I get home, if it helps, you'll have some more rep comin' your way.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    178 Post(s)
    Ok i tested it out and it does the same thing..

However, I created a brand new script with ONLY that action and setup and it doesnt occur. What is wierd is that when the whole script is loaded, it only generates this error when this action is running...

It really is doing my head in.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    178 Post(s)
    Ok it might have something to do with targeting.... If i run the script, open states and turn off targeting, it still fires runes, but doesnt throw this error.

Also if I run a script that just changes the spell to flame strike to no action and vise versa, the error doesnt occur. I think its just a bug with the bot...

EDIT: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY, I figured it out...

What is happening is that, because targeting is enabled, and a spell exists, when 3 or more monsters are around me and the spell changes to "No Action", it still tries to cast "No Action" but because the object reference is not set to an instance, it throws the error

Kind of annoying.. not sure how to "stop" it from occurring, as I definitely want it changing to no action so it doesn't exhaust when using aoe runes.

I think it was the "FindItemByName" part in the debug that was throwing me off.

Thanks Soder for the help anyway.
    Last edited by pink_panther; 10-10-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Normal User
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    LOL! After searching for the soulution for a couple of hours i stumbled across your thread!
    Thanks Pinky!
    "No Action" is tricy sometimes :-D